PRP for Sexual Health
Issues related to sexual health are common complaints in the doctor's office. Aging brings about normal and predictable changes in the body. As men get older, changes in the prostate and in testosterone levels can lead to erectile dysfunction. As women get older, estrogen levels decrease which may lead to vaginal dryness and slower arousal. Certain health conditions and medications can also affect sexual health and enjoyment.
Standard treatments for these sexual issues involve lifestyle modifications such as exercise, a nutrient-dense diet, and good communication with your partner. Hormone therapy and medications are also commonly used to treat these issues.1
Platelet-rich plasma, or PRP, may also be useful in treating issues of sexual health, particularly in patients who have failed other types of treatments.
How does it work?
The normal aging process can have a profound impact on our sexual health. Certain medical conditions can also influence sexual health. Tissues become thinner and more fragile, leading to discomfort. Blood flow may be altered by a variety of factors.
By injecting vaginal and penile tissue with platelet-rich plasma, up to 35 types of growth factors are delivered directly into the tissue. These growth factors play a fundamental role in cell regeneration and tissue healing. It's believed that PRP assists in the regeneration of tissues and also improves blood supply. This, in turn, may alleviate a variety of sexual health concerns.
PRP stimulates the body's own natural healing response by separating platelets from other blood components and concentrating them. This specially prepared platelet-rich plasma contains 5 to 10 times the concentration of platelets found in whole blood. The concentrated PRP is then delivered into and around the site of injury via injection, stimulating and significantly strengthening the body's healing response.2
Since PRP is an autologous therapy, using the patient's own blood product, there is no risk of cross reactivity or immune reaction.
Studies have shown that PRP is a safe, supplemental therapy for erectile dysfunction. A 2019 analysis of the research found that PRP therapy has the potential for treating male sexual dysfunction. The research also clearly shows a lack of adverse reactions with PRP.3
PRP is thought to be effective for many female sexual health conditions as well. These include cervical ectopy, preventing wound breakdown after reconstructive surgery for vulvar cancer, and in ovarian rejuvenation for women with poor ovarian reserve.4
One small study found that intravaginal and intraclitoral PRP injections could be an effective method to treat certain types of female sexual dysfunction, especially in the areas of desire, arousal, lubrication, and orgasm.5
THE PRP PROCESS
To create a platelet-rich plasma preparation, the following steps are performed:
- A small sample of blood is drawn from the patient and injected into the Dr. PRP blood tube.
- The platelets are then separated from the other blood components and their concentration is increased using the Dr. PRP centrifuge and by removing some of the plasma.
- The resulting platelet-rich plasma is then injected into and around the injured site of the patient.
- The concentrated growth factors contained in the plasma trigger a mild inflammatory response which effectively jump starts the body's own natural healing response.
The entire process takes approximately one hour, including preparation and recovery time. For a complete demonstration of each step of the process, view our instructional video.
The Dr. PRP is an FDA-registered medical device designed to quickly and efficiently prepare patients' blood for PRP therapy.
Our patented design creates high-concentration and high-quality platelet-rich plasma that your physician can use to help stimulate the healing process. This results in bone cell growth and tissue regeneration at the injured site.
REACH OUT TO LEARN
BENEFITS OF DR. PRP
- Completely closed, sterile system.
- Outside air is blocked with a double safety cap.
- Since the processing is completed within the closed system, there is no risk of the PRP becoming contaminated.
EASY TO USE
- Each kit comes pre-packaged.
- The clear chambers ensure that you can see all the components of the blood sample.
- The buffy coat layer is easily seen in the neck of the device, allowing you to precisely separate the components into the type of PRP you wish to produce.
- You can even eliminate red blood cells from your final PRP product.
QUICK AND CONVENIENT
- The closed system allows for more treatments in less time.
- Customize your final PRP composition for use in different situations.
- The PRP can and should be administered as soon as you prepare it with our kit – no advanced preparation is needed.
- One kit holds 20 cc of fluid (3 cc of anticoagulant + 17 cc of whole blood) and produces 4 cc of highly concentrated PRP.
- The platelet recovery percentage of Dr. PRP is higher than the minimum recovery percentage of other similar products from our competitors.
- Platelets require red and white blood cells to survive long-term. Unlike gel separators that capture the platelets within the gel, our kit allows you to accurately create consistently efficient PRP at the concentrations you want.
- Our kit can recover over 90% of platelets from a blood sample to produce the highest quality PRP.
- The kit is registered by the US-FDA for use by healthcare providers.
- The FDA 510K is pending approval.
- According to the ISO 13485, our kit is made with a thorough gamma-ray sterilization system.
- Made only with biocompatibility-certification completed raw materials.
TRAINING & SUPPORT
- One-on-one, in-service training is provided via GoToTraining, FaceTime, or Zoom.
- User Manual with photos and descriptions detail how to use your new product, as well as information on PRP and test results.
- Enroll in our Platelet-Rich Plasma CME Certification course where you can learn cosmetic applications of PRP, including the PRP Facial and PRP Facelift.
- Order marketing materials and educational brochures for your patients. These brochures explain various applications of PRP, such as sports medicine and hair regeneration.
- Add your contact information and location to our Directory of PRP Providers.
To view and order Dr. PRP kits and centrifuges, visit
For questions and to discuss our products in more detail, contact us today at
844-377-7787 (DR- PRP-US).
- "Sexual health and aging: Keep the passion alive." Mayo Clinic. Accessed 18 June 2021. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/sexual-health/in-depth/sexual-health/art-20046698
- "PRP Injections for Pain" AAOMED. Accessed 18 June 2021. https://www.aaomed.org/Platelet-Rich-Plasma-Injections-for-Pain
- Maya V.Epifanova PhD, MD, Badri R.Gvasalia PhD, MD, Maksim A.Durashov, Sergey A.Artemenko. "Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy for Male Sexual Dysfunction: Myth or Reality?" Sexual Medicine Reviews, Volume 8, Issue 1 (January 2020): 106-113. Accessed 18 June 2021. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2050052119300083
- Ayman Shehata Dawood and Hesham Abdelaziz Salem. "Current clinical applications of platelet-rich plasma in various gynecological disorders: An appraisal of theory and practice."Clinical and Experimetnal Reproductive Medicine (June 2018): 67-74. Accessed 18 June 2021. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6030616/
- Charles Runels*, Hugh Melnick, Ernest Debourbon and Lisbeth Roy. "A Pilot Study of the Effect of Localized Injections of Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for the Treatment of Female Sexual Dysfunction." Journal of Women’s Health Care (2014) Accessed 18 June 2021 http://www.oshot.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/openaccess.pdf